March 1, 2013

2nd Annual Challenge of Music blog hop Reveal

Today is the reveal day for The Challenge of Music, hosted by Erin at Treasures-Found!


  The idea of the challenge is (borrowed from Erin's blog):
- to find a piece of instrumental music that speaks to you soul. The goal is to find a piece of music without any choral accompaniment, so that you have the freedom to interpret the colors, textures, shapes, movements and images that it evokes.
and  
- to create something of your choice - jewelry, accessory or some other artistic representation - that takes us on the journey of this piece of music.


  For this chllenge I've decided to "wipe the dust" from my old colection of CD-s and so I've found a CD of a Slovenian music group Terra Mystica. Their music accompanied me during the 1996, a year that was quite challenging for me, and full of turning points in my life. It was the period when I've begun to know myself better and overcome some barries in my mind. 

  The song I've chosen is Rhinoceros in the Cathedral:


 For a nice critics about their music in English, go here 


  And now back to the challenge.
One of my first associations when speaking about cathedrals, are the wonderful and impressive stained glass windows. Every time I visit a cathedral I keep wondering about the mastery of the artisans that created them. and I love the "visual music" crated by the sunlight shining through them ...

  As I work mostly with polymer clay, my challenge was to create something to resemble this kind of artistry - a faux stained glass focal and some faux glass beads.





  They are still not perfect, but I'll keep experimenting further ... 

  And here is the list of everyone else participating in this challenge. I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting creations as well as discover some music you've never heard before. 

23 comments:

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wow - love the song for the challenge (still listening to it). The piece you created is stunning! It looks so much like stained glass-awesome!!!

re-maker said...

They look pretty perfect to me! The beads are beautifully done, and the faux stained glass piece is amazing. You are really quite talented.

Thanks for sharing a Terra Mystica.

Michelle said...

I agree - pretty perfect indeed! These are just beautiful. I love your colour swirl beads, they look just like watercolours. I also love the music. I've never heard this artist before ... and now I think I'll go buy a CD : )

Amy S. said...

Alenka - what a cool musical piece you selected. I love this challenge partly because I'm so amazed by the huge variety of music I am introduced to. I think your faux stained glass flower is stunning, and a great interpretation!

Alicia said...

I know we are our harshest critics, but your focal is perfect, and so are the 'faux glass' beads! I hope you share your final design, I love the elements!

Unknown said...

Your stained glass floral makes me envy your polymer talent. The choice of music was very impressive but I kept trying to see the Rhino dancing in the cathedral (not at all I'm sure what the musicaians had in mind)and couldn't see anything ele but this graceful animal trying to tip-toe dance without upsetting anything that was delicately balanced.- although I could easily see your beautiful piece set within a great stone wall. Beautiful work, great music, and there's nothing wrong with those beads - Bravo!

SueBeads said...

Very pretty focal, I hope we can see what you create with it!

Maneki said...

Lovely pendant, it really does feel like a modern take on stained glass. And the beads are very pretty too, especially the green ones!

Dar el Hindiya said...

I love your piece of music and your faux stained glass focal is exquisite.

KayzKreationz said...

I love your stained glass clay focal. As I work with stained glass I think you did a great job of re-creating it in clay. Off to listen to your music.

Jenny said...

Thats a lovely piece of music and I never would have heard of them otherwise! Thank you for that.

Your pendant is lovely. The flower appears to be unfurling which somehow echoes the idea of light rays streaming into the air.

beautifullybrokenme said...

Such a cool and unusual song - I really enjoyed listening to it! Your interpretation is absolutely beautiful - I love the focal with the lovely bright detail. And the complimentary beads are just perfect. Beautiful job!

:) Molly

rosebud101 said...

I love your faux stained glass window. That is beautiful!!!!

TesoriTrovati said...

Hello Miss Alenka! I am so happy that you participated! I absolutely love the tulip bead that you made. The stained glass reference is so perfect. I feel the same way. This bead would fit in perfectly with the modern stained glass in the church that I attend. It is my favorite part of the space. I hope that you will make more of these and sell them (so I can buy one because my sister is a lover of tulips and I could see making a necklace with one of these!)Thank you for sharing your interesting music and your art with the world! Enjoy the day. Erin

A Polymer Penchant said...

The focal and beads both look pretty perfect to me! Love the inspiration you chose, I surely would have never heard it without this hop. Thank you!

EmandaJ said...

I love stained glass, studied it for my master's thesis in art history -- you made a beautiful interpretation of stained glass and I adore your beads too.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Hi Alenka! Thank you for choosing a composition by a Slovenian band that I might never have heard! It has a great beat and lively melody with enough humour (presumably the rhinoceros is creating some havoc!)

As a fellow lover of polymer clay, I enjoy seeing all the wonderful ways different artists can achieve these faux effects. I love how you have captured the delicate look of glass in both your focal and the beads. You should consider sharing/selling a tutorial... you know we can't get enough tutorials!

Jess Green said...

Wow, that song is amazing! I may have to look these guys up :) I love Slovenia, I am over there about twice a year.

Your stained glass window piece is fabulous, such lovely detail! And I'd happily use those beads in my jewellery :)

AliMc said...

I think that focal is fabulous! Great upbeat music too:)

kmorgan said...

Love the beads & faux stained glass piece you've done! The colors remind me of spring & fit the music well. Really have enjoyed the musical "chimes" :))

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful stained glass bead! Can't believe it is actually polymer clay! It's a lovely piece of music too.

SoulsFireDesigns said...

This piece is amazing! And unlike anything I can ever remember hearing before, thank you so much for sharing it! I love your "stained glass" focal, it is just beautiful and truly brings to mind stained glass. Wonderful job!

macmillanmarie said...

Very nice work and the music is great - this challenge has opened my ears to whole new styles of music.